PhiusCon Houston 2023 Presents Sought-After Keynote Speakers & Cutting-Edge Workshops on Passive Building
Tickets to PhiusCon Houston, the leading passive building conference for climate-conscious building design, construction and science are selling fast! The much-anticipated conference recently announced an impressive lineup of keynote speakers, intro courses, and more.
This November 7-10, 2023, PhiusCon, hosted by Phius, a non-profit organization delivering the industry standard for climate-specific zero-energy building, is coming to Houston for its 17th year. The conference brings together architecture, building, manufacturing, and energy experts and enthusiasts to address the next frontier of passive building strategies and the need for weather-resilient homes – a topic more important than ever in hot and humid climates like the South. Phius Certified buildings are uniquely designed for their environment with the grid in mind – providing much-needed energy independence and significantly less strain than traditional buildings.
"Demand for building resilience and adaptability is driving new thinking and action on how we design and build homes, offices and institutions," said Phius co-founder and Executive Director, Katrin Klingenberg. "Phius Certified passive buildings are the future of urban development."
PhiusCon 2023 provides an introduction to the Phius community for building practitioners, policymakers and students, equipping them with a blueprint to create more grid-friendly, resilient, healthy communities.
Key Conference Events Include:
- Tour Notable Phius-Certified Passive House Projects throughout the city and surrounding suburbs (tour tickets sold separately). These intentionally designed homes maintain internal temperatures for longer periods of time, even without electricity, have superb indoor air quality due to balanced ventilation and use 40-60% less energy than traditional buildings.
- Texas Case Studies Session: Five experienced passive building practitioners will share their experiences working on projects around Texas, the growth of passive building and affordable passive building strategies in the state.
- Closing Keynote from Joseph Lstiburek, B.A.Sc., M.Eng., Ph.D., P.Eng., the founding principal of Building Science Corporation and an ASHRAE Fellow called "the Sherlock Holmes of construction" by Fast Company. Internationally recognized, his work has influenced building codes and standards in every climate zone.
- Ninth Annual Phius Design Competition displaying the most innovative, high-performance Phius-certified projects. Explore and vote for your favorite!
- Introductory Courses for Those New to Passive Building & Phius (admission sold separately):
- Phius 101 for Builders, Architects & Engineers, Potential Homeowners & the Curious
- Phius Project Certification Prep Course
- Carbon Accounting & Optimization 101
- And more!
- "The Phuture" Led by Pioneer of Passive Building and Visionary, Katrin Klingenberg, Co-Founder & Executive Director of Phius about the future of architecture and manufacturing, professional practice and re-thinking project phase structure in high-performance design and construction
Attendees will also have the opportunity to explore a large exhibit hall brimming with state-of-the-art technologies and systems from leading manufacturers in the high-performance building industry. Companies and organizations relevant to passive and zero-energy building will be on-site for exploration and learning. The Exhibit Hall will be open to the public for a preview the night before the conference (November 7 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.) at no cost, providing a unique opportunity to discover and learn for those interested in exploring Phius and passive building. PhiusCon attendees can also earn continuing education credit through AIA and Phius Professional CEUs.
Register today at phius1.zohobackstage.com/PhiusCon2023. High-res conference images HERE - please credit Phius.